The Future of the Forum

Stay tuned to news regarding the site and these boards.
Stella

The Future of the Forum

Postby Stella » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:09 pm

PLEASE NOTE!

I am updating the Forum software later this week, probably on Thursday, in the evening.

The Forum will be down as the software loads and updates. I have no idea how long this process will take. I've never done this before.

AND A HEADS UP!

Activity on the Forum has been very low over the last few months. It costs me a lot of money to maintain the Forum, while costs for the main Byrneholics website and the Gallery are minimal.

So, I am planning to close the Forum in January 2017. I am paid up until then.

This should give you plenty of time to look through the Forum Postings and copy or download anything you really want to keep. When the Forum is closed, all of the postings and data will be deleted. There is no way to archive it.

Social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, are good ways to talk to everyone about Gabriel. And you can always comment on the main site as well. I think we have sufficient outlets for communication without the need for maintaining this expensive Forum that mostly we are NOT using!

I know this decision might come as a surprise, but really it should not. We are hardly here anymore, so it is time to move on.

One final thought: if we MUST have a Forum, then I suggest we move to a new FREE Forum. That is an option. I would pay to remove any ads on a free forum, but it should be very inexpensive in comparison to the ton o' money I'm spending on this one.

Thanks.

Stella
:cow

PS. If things go bump in the night when I update the Forum software, the Forum may be down for an extended period of time while I go look for :help ! I will post progress reports, if any are needed, on the Main Site. Go there if you can't get here.

DeMonk

Re: The Future of the Forum

Postby DeMonk » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:13 pm

How sad. I'll miss this site.

Stella

Postby Stella » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:44 pm

I know, DeMonk. :cry:

If there is enough interest, I can make a new Free Forum.

Aragarna

Postby Aragarna » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:17 am

I'll be sad to see this forum go, it has been a big part of my life - heck, it's the reason I can write on my curriculum "forum administrator" ;) - but Stella is right. There is very little activity anymore, which simply reflects the new internet usages.

I think we can make the habit of using the main site more, or Facebook/Twitter, to keep conversations going.
I'd be happy to help anyone who would need help to make the jump.

Please, leave your suggestions and thoughts on what you think might be the best solution, and we can discuss all together.
"there is bit of a traveller in everybody. but very few of us know where we are going" Papa Reilly.

Stella

Postby Stella » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks, Ara!

If some of us would like instruction or support in using social media like Twitter and Facebook, Ara and I would be happy to help.

Twitter has a useful page for beginners to get you started:

https://support.twitter.com/articles/13920#

Byrneholics on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Byrneholics

I tweet almost every day; sometimes I am just retweeting cool Gabriel Byrne things that others have posted and other times I am sharing news about him with the rest of the "Twitterverse." It is a very easy tool to use but it does take some experience to get the hang of hashtags and attaching pics and other actions. It's free, of course. And you can learn so much great stuff when you follow the right people! :D

The Byrneholics Facebook page has lots of followers already, many from other countries for whom English is not a first language. We get along great, though, for the most part. Verónica is the moderator for Facebook and she will welcome you once you join up!

https://www.facebook.com/byrneholics/

The Help Center at Facebook will get you started:

https://www.facebook.com/help/?ref=facebar_dropdown_help

So this is a little "Social Media" lesson for those of us who don't use these tools very often. I hope it helps. 8-|

Kariboo52

Postby Kariboo52 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm sorry Stella, I had no idea it cost you so much money. You do so much for this site. You shouldn't have to lose money too. I am very grateful for all you have done and still do. :flowers: I wish we could do a fund raiser. :dunno: Well, I will miss this forum. Its where I feel I can truly express myself. Hopefully I made a few of you laugh! :wot: Thanks again Stella and everyone! :cry:

:cool:

Marley

Postby Marley » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Stella,
I too would like to offer my thanks to you for setting up and maintaining the forum. I did not realize the costs involved with its upkeep.
I am looking forward to meeting you in NYC in about six weeks and thanking you in person. The forum will still be available then for great photos and stories about our LDJIN weekend.
I have been using FB to read Byrneholics posts, but have not figured out Twitter yet. Hopefully my son in NYC can help me, those millennials know everything!
Mary

Noraa

Postby Noraa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:41 am

:cry:

I feel sad when I read that it will be no forum more from 2017.
But when I hear that it costs money, and I have seen that there is little activity in the forum now, I can understand it.

I have been a member of Facebook the last half year.
I do not like to write on the Facebook page for Byrneholics because I suspect that my Facebook friends can see it when I give likes or write things i FB Byrneholics. And I don't want to bother a lot of priests and chuch musicians wth my Gabriel infatuation. Am I right to describe the situation about other FB friends to see my comments in FB Byrneholics in this way?

What will happens to the wonderful wallpapers that you have made Stella?
And what will happens to all the great Gabriel photos in the Gallery?
Can we not see them anymore? :no

Thank you for all work you have done until this day Stella! :hug:

It has been a lovely plce to come to for sharing thoughts and feelings about Gabriel and his work! :)

Stella

Postby Stella » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:31 pm

As you can see, the software update has been successful. :h

Now I am thinking about how much customization to do to this new version of the software. We've lost our banners and some things are in strange places, but the Forum works! And that is the main thing.

Thanks for your patience.

Noraa

Postby Noraa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:21 am

I am glad to see that the forum is not dead yet.
It looks different but it is still there. :)

Good luck with your work Stella.

Return to “Site Announcements & Updates”